EPA Lead Renovators Frequently Asked Questions

The new EPA rules state that any contractor participating on renovation projects on buildings or spaces that were built before 1978 must get certified or they will face fines of $37,500 per day that they are working in a qualified space. The cost of getting certified is literally less than 1 percent the cost of a one-day fine.
The following syllabus covers what we go over in the 8-hour workshop.

Course Registration and Introduction (Picture Taking of Students)
Module 1: Why Should I be Concerned About Lead Paint?
Student Exercise
Module 2: Regulations
Module 3: Before Beginning Work
Student Exercise
Module 4: Contain Dust During Work
Student Exercise
Module 5: During The Work
Student Exercise
Module 6: Cleaning Activities and Checking Your Work
Student Exercise
Module 7: Record keeping
Module 8: Training Non-Certified Renovation Workers
Test and Course Evaluation
Yes. As a certified abatement supervisor, you will be required to take a half day (4-hour) 'refresher' course. This is also true for those who have completed the lead abatement worker, or any recognized 'Lead Safe Work Practices' courses, including the lead based paint maintenance training program 'Work Smart, Work Wet and Work Clean to Work Lead Safe,' prepared by NATA for EPA and HUD; 'The Remodelers and Renovators Lead Based Paint Training Program,' prepared by HUD and NARI; or other courses previously approved by HUD for this purpose after consultation with EPA.
A person can become a certified renovator by either:

1. Successfully completing an accredited renovator training course, or
2. Successfully completing an accredited refresher renovator training course if the individual previously completed an accredited abatement worker or supervisor course, or has completed an EPA, HUD, or EPA/HUD model renovation training course (commonly known as Lead Safe Work Practices). Proof of prior training must be submitted and verified by the training provider.
Green Education Services offers open-enrollment workshops throughout the nation at our fixed locations as well as in-house training at your office. You can sign up for one of our scheduled courses online, or call our training department at 1-800-355-1751.
In addition to training, your firm must become an accredited Renovation Firm by applying to USEPA. Click here to download the EPA Firm Application.
There are 2 certification options from USEPA. Renovation Firm Certification is $300 and a combined Lead-based Paint Activities and Renovation Firm Certification is $550. There is no fee for individual certification; individuals are certified by the trainer, not the USEPA. Please note that EPA Firm Certification fees do not include any individual training fees.
In addition to obtaining a Renovation Firm License, firms performing renovations must ensure that: - All persons performing renovation activities are certified renovators or have received on-the-job training by a certified renovator; A certified renovator is assigned to each renovation performed by the firm; and - All renovations are performed in accordance with applicable work practice standards.
Firms were able to apply for firm certification beginning October 2009 and had to be certified by April 2010. After April 2010, all renovations must be performed by certified firms in accordance with the work practice standards and associated recordkeeping requirements. We suggest that you submit your Renovation Firm application to EPA at least 8 weeks in advance of the date you would need the certification to allow for ample processing time.
Firms will have to re-apply for re-certification every 5 years. To maintain individual certification, a person must go through an accredited refresher course every 5 years.
No, but the certified Renovator must give on the job training to other persons performing renovation activities and maintain records of this training. Remember that a certified Renovator must be assigned to each renovation project, so you will likely need more than one certified Renovator if you have multiple jobs going on simultaneously.
Yes, after the renovation is complete, the firm must clean the work area. The certified Renovator must verify the cleanliness of the work area using a procedure involving disposable cleaning cloths. However, you may request that a clearance be performed by a certified professional.
At this point, USEPA is the enforcing agency for most states. States and tribes may (in the future) become authorized to implement this rule. The rule contains procedures for the authorization of states, territories, and tribes to administer and enforce these standards and regulations in lieu of a federal program.
This FAQ guide was prepared pursuant to section 212 of SBREFA. EPA has tried to help explain in this guide what you must do to comply with the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) and EPA's lead regulations. However, this guide has no legal effect and does not create any legal rights. Compliance with the procedures described in this guide does not establish compliance with the rule or establish a presumption or inference of compliance. The legal requirements that apply to renovation work are governed by EPA's 2008 Lead Rule, which governs if there is any inconsistency between the rule and the information in this guide.
No. If the surface to be painted is not disturbed by sanding, scraping, or other activities that may cause dust, the work is not considered renovation and EPA's lead program requirements do not apply. However, painting projects that involve surface preparation that disturbs paint, such as sanding and scraping, would be covered.
EPA's lead program rules apply only to renovations performed for compensation; therefore, if you work on your own home, the rules do not apply. EPA encourages homeowners to use lead-safe work practices, nonetheless, in order to protect themselves, their families, and the value of their homes.
YES. The receipt of rent payments or salaries derived from rent payments is considered compensation under EPA's lead program. Therefore, renovation activities performed by landlords or employees of landlords are covered.
The 7-day advance delivery requirement applies only when you deliver the RRP pamphlet by mail; otherwise, you may deliver the lead paint pamphlet anytime before the renovation begins as long as the renovation begins within 60 days of the date that the pamphlet is delivered. For example, if your renovation is to begin May 30, you may deliver the pamphlet in person anytime between April 1 and start of the project on May 30, or you may deliver the pamphlet by mail anytime between April 1 and May 23.
Visit our contact page or give us a call in the office at 1-800-355-1751 and we will be glad to help you!
© 2023 Zack Academy, Inc.
Questions? 954-400-0595
Payments Accepted
Google Paycredit cards